Monday, March 12, 2012

Please, No Vicious Circles

If someone thinks that the "A word"
(applique) is bad, then
doing appliqued dots are absolutely "vicious circles".

With a circle there are no straightaways to 
give you rest.
Each stitch is dealing with the curve.
Is a circle suppose to be round?

Just when I think each of my appliqued 
Roseville Album blocks are done,
guess what, 
there are about 20 circles and dots to add.


Years ago I took a class from Karen Kay Buckley, when
the Applique Society was meeting in Denver.
It was nice to learn from someone who didn't 
have a circle phobia.

Karen sells a package of die cut heat resistant circles.
Of course, I bought them and put them in a safe place.
So safe in fact, I've never found them after many years.
I have looked,
Even with Mom eyes, but no luck. 

But in the meantime, I've cut my own 
out of nonmelt Mylar.
With each circle that I need,
I trace around the next larger size than what I want the finished size to be,
cut out with a 1/8" seam,


and baste with even, not too small stitches,
on the right side of the fabric in the seam allowance.

If you use too small of stitches, it's hard to draw up,
too big and you can get pointy spots.
You'll have to practice.

Leave the two tail.
Then place the Mylar disc inside.
Pull the threads to draw up the seam allowance snug 
to the disc.

Using a little spray sizing, spray the circle or use
a small brush to add the sizing.
Hold on to the tails to keep it tight and
press the circle.

Once the spray sizing is dry, flip that little circle on it's back
and press again.
Pop that Mylar disc out, give it one more little press,
and trim the tails.

 These are as close to perfect, as I can get.
That's not to bad.
Like any good thing, it takes time and practice.
But the effort is well worth the end results,
Hey,
you can make 
circles that are round with no pointy parts.

Have a smooth well-rounded kind of a day.
Until Next Time-

4 comments:

  1. I have a set of those circle makers and have used them many times. Isn't it odd that you have never found yours. And they aren't inexpensive either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great technique! I am copying it off for my applique file. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love the A word. Now paper-piecing, that's another story.....and not one I'm too fond of anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci, Kyle! Maybe I'll try these little circles some day soon!

    ReplyDelete