Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Vision verses Ability

Do you ever feel like this?

This little chipmunk seems to have 
bitten off more than he can chew.
Oh, how I know the feeling!

The pieced top for the mystery quilt, Discovery,
  designed by Petra Prins in 2016 for Quiltmania magazine
has been finished for almost a year.

The delay?

  I've wanted to quilt it myself,
but the task seemed daunting.
My vision far exceeded my ability.

So for 9 months I've moved it
from list to list,
dragged my heels, and
totally procrastinated.

A couple of weeks ago I finally I 
ordered a collection of Aurifil #28 thread
in the pefect colors so my stitches 
would blend in, yet add
texture with the thicker thread.

So then last week

I pulled up my big girl panties and 
said," What have I got to loose!  Just do it."

It took more time and 
thought than I had originally planned,
although I knew it would.
Each section brought new challenges.

Figuring out what to do,

practicing, practicing...,
and attempting to make the designs look cohesive.

I left the center section until last.
I was unsure if I would be able to  fill in the background
with a swirl design that looked appropriate
for this beautiful design.

Not perfect, but acceptable for me.

I was excited to finally
 add my special label.
 When I was in the Netherlands
last spring, Petra signed it for me.
Now both of our names are included.

(notice how I changed the date!)

This quilt was a long term
project with many discoveries.  
I discovered Dutch chintz designs and how lovely they're to work with,
EPP piecing is accurate and fun to do,
and my machine quilting skills may be far from perfect,

but you never know what you can do until you give it a try.

Until Next Time-

Friday, March 2, 2018

Remember Me

We all want to leave a small mark in this world.
As quilters, we take fabric and create
patterns and designs leaving a tangible object
for our family and friends.

A while back a friend shared with me
the remnants of a quilt top made
by someone many many years ago.

These hst's had been sewn together to form triangles 
and then a double pink was used for the other half 
making the square.

This is all that remains of that wonderful pink.

Someone rotary cut that fabric out of the original quilt and
now only these thin strips 
are left in the seam allowances.

I had decided to use some of the remaining 
half square triangles for my February Mini.

The pieces had been sewn together by hand.

After unstitching some,
squaring them up,

I stitched diagonal rows.

I was challenged by what fabric to use for the 
side triangle with the diagonal setting.
I auditioned more shirtings, double pinks,
cadet blues, and even some mourning prints.

It wasn't until I tried a chrome yellow ( a reproduction print)
 that I knew it was the perfect one.

I used a double pink reproduction for the 
border, but a vintage black print for the corners.

I love how it turned out.

I hand quilted diagonal rows using an
Aurifil #12.  It added a simple 
make-do look to the finished quilt.

Don't you love these classic
turn of the century prints. 1880-1900

There's no way of knowing who 
the original quilter was or her
story behind her quilt,
but at least now some of her pieces

will say "Remember Me".

Until Next Time-

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Flange Bindings

There are different ways 
to finish a quilt.
This week I've been 
finishing a couple quilts 
using a flange binding
or sometimes referred to as 
a faux piped binding.

It's a great way to get a binding
finished by machine and a great way
to add a pop of color around the edge.

It's a fun look.

There are many good tutorials online
if you'd like to know more of the details.

It requires two different strips of fabrics,
one for the flange and one for the binding.
The flange is cut 1/4" larger than the binding.
I like a narrow binding, 2 1/4", so I
cut the flange 1 1/2" and the binding 1 1/4".

When the binding strips are sewn together
and pressed in half, it creates an 1/8" flange of color.

This binding is sewn on the backside of the quilt
and then turned to the front.
To finish the binding, it's sewn
in the ditch between the flange and the binding.

 Here is the baby quilt I was machine quilting.

It's a simple panel that required

just some quilting around the main animals.

Adding the flange, was a simple way
 to accent one more color  
without being overwhelming or 
adding another border.
Plus the binding was all done on the machine.
Perfect for a donation quilt.

The second quilt is from Sue Spargo's
free pattern, Instastitch, found on her website.

I finished it finally last week,
machine quilting in the ditch between 
most of the pieces.

Indigo Blue

This quilt turned out to be basically a two color quilt,
indigo and cream 
with a small amount of color and texture from the embroidery.

Adding the cream flange helped to give the quilt a crisp edge.
I had to use a bright backing to 
compliment the delightful embroidery on the front.

The final quilt with a flange binding
is a group quilt for a friend.

Grey can be the modern neutral and
was a wonderful background for the 
batiks and bright prints.
With the grey border and grey binding, I added
the raspberry batik flange

to cause the eye to stay in the center of the quilt 
and to add a last sparkle of color.
I think it's the perfect accent.  

It's fun to try new things.
This is a easy technique to add an accent of color 
and a wonderful way
to finish a binding completely by machine.
Give it a try.

Until Next Time-