My unstructured days
of summer have finally allowed
me to finish two quilts.
that had been lingering.
55" x 60"
"A Dutch Garden"
65" x 65"
The Scrappy Rings pattern
had been a weekly challenge
from Temecula Quilt Co
No borders and then with simple diagonal quilting
all those hundreds of different fabrics
could remain the stars.
I approached it mostly as a
leaders and enders project, but
then as always with a L and E project,
I finally just sewed to get it done.
After having breakfast with girl friends this summer
they very willing agreed to help
me with a Fort Collins Old Town photo shoot.
Thanks Liz and Debbie.
A Dutch Garden was a kit
I purchased at the Houston International Quilt Festival
of the Netherlands.
The kit came with that beautiful
outer border fabric, the center medallion,
and a few other key pieces.
The rest I filled in with my
treasured pieces of Dutch fabrics.
The design included all
kinds of fun piecing, broderie perse applique
and of course, hexagons.
I felt it needed to be heavily quilted
and that challenged me to be creative with
my limited machine quilting skills.
The real challenge came when
trying to decide what to do in that
very wide outer border.
I figured it had to be more feathers.
That's what I did in a very organic way!
A little harder to see, but there they are
weaving their way over all those flowers.
No binding was attached to finish the edge,
but rather I used a facing to give it a clean look.
During my photo shoot at the
Colorado State Perennial Gardens,
something thought it was a real garden
I guess that was the real test
that I had created a "A Dutch Garden".
Until Next Time-