Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy Fourth of July

 One of my favorite holidays
is the 4th of July.

It was always a big event when 
I was growing up.
Small town,
a parade with the
 high school marching band

 a queen and her court

 and even elephants
(1962)
a neighborhood picnic
topped off with
fireworks and sparklers.

Times have changed, but
Independence Day is still
fun and important to celebrate.

When my kids were little we
would made a snowman from the last
snow of winter.
Keep him frozen in the freezer until
the 4th of July.

And then he would be
at the picnic, but for just a little while.

This little wool quilt


 always reminds me of that tradition.

Now there is a new generation of flag wavers and

that make things exciting.

Of course the 4th of July
wouldn't be perfect
 
 without the pie.
Hope your holiday was perfect too.
Until Next Time-

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I love all those pics, too! And that snowman pennyrug is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures and the walk down memory lane, Kyle! Adorable grandchildren, too! I bet those delightful "pies" are gone!

    Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun snowman tradition!
    And what cute little flag wavers. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fancy pies. You should take up baking for a living. I suppose it wouldn't be fun anymore if you did that. The snowman tradition is a unique one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish I could have been home to celebrate! you and daddy will have to freeze a snowman next year for the babies :)

    ReplyDelete