Friday, August 31, 2012

Patchwork Patterns, Ruby McKim

When I first heard about
quilting and decided to give it a try
there were very few resources available.

I remember seeing patterns printed in the newspaper,
but they looked so old fashioned.

I started my first quilt in 1973
after I saw my friend's sister was making a quilt
and she was a hippie, nothing old fashioned about that!

I jumped right in.
Here is the story of my first quilt.

After sewing a gazillion rectangles together
I figured there must be something more interesting than that.

I received a copy of this book in 1974.
It was the beginning of an exciting journey.
I never knew that squares and triangles could create so
many different patterns.
It was a treasure trove of ideas.

Everyone got pillows for Christmas
so I could experiment with all of these patterns.

Do you notice how different this book looks from the books
and patterns we purchase today?

Simple single patterns,
the pattern pieces didn't include seam allowance,
no finished ideas,
and no color photos.

 Ruby McKim did include value placement ideas
with the simple black and white drawings.

This was actually a wonderful way to start
creating quilts and designs.
There were no preconceived ideas of what
was possible.
It was totally up to my imagination and creativity.

It's very easy today 
to make quilts
only the way a pattern shows
and with only those fabrics.
I admit I've lost some of my creativity.


 But look what's also in the pamphlets
I'm giving away.

"Something New, Ready Cut Quilts"

 Quilts kits for those who wanted it just that way.
Don't you love the prices in 1931.

Quilt kits are still big business for a quilt shop.
There are a lot of quilters, myself included at times,
 who want it just that way
even today.


 ****
Don't forget to leave a comment
on Monday's post.
 I'll be drawing on Saturday for
the winner of these
original Ruby McKim booklets.

 They could be yours,
to spark your creativity.
 Until Next Time-
 

2 comments:

  1. I used to have one of those Ruby McKim books. That was before I started quilting so I never did anything with it but study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved that picture of you!

    ReplyDelete