Monday, March 29, 2010

The Wind in the Willows

The story The Wind in the Willows is a delightful children's story written by Kenneth Grahame in 1908.  Do you remember?

It has the character of Mole, Ratty, Mr. Badger and the wild and eccentric Mr. Toad.

All winter the wind has been blowing through our willow tree.  It's a beautiful tree, especially in the summer with it's long and willowy green leaves.

But it is also a very messy tree.  It sheds its branches easily, leaving them all over the backyard.  When the wind blows from the northwest they are placed on the ground like compass needles, all facing in a perfect northwest/southeast direction.

This weekend is a special day. 
It's the 3rd Annual Raking Day.

This is our interpretation of "American Gothic"

Today I have to check out the rakes, make sure there are plenty of work gloves, and plan the treats for afterward.  I don't know if my kids have as much fun as we do, but all their work is sure appreciated!


Just as Mole emerged from his home in the spring and began an adventure with his friends, we'll be emerging Saturday to have fun, as long as the wind doesn't blow too much through the willow.

Until Next Time-Kyle

1 comment:

  1. I think I am going to start our own family raking tradition! I was out in our backyard yesterday and you can't walk without stepping in a "dog bomb". I think I will invest in some rakes and we can have our 1st Annual Family Raking! I give you the credit!! I love your American Gothic picture!

    ReplyDelete