Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Knew Better

I have been listening to the audio book, Highest Duty, by Chesley Sullenburger.  It has been a good reminder for me of the importance of striving to always do your best no matter the situation.  It is very easy to become complacent and do a half way job in life, in work, in relationships or in many other ways.

I have always thought of  myself as always trying to go the extra mile.  But I also know there are many times that I don't.

There are big things that some times catch us and cause us to come to a rude awakening or sometimes it's the little things that will gnaw at you until you do something about it..

I had been making a baby quilt and realized that I had sewn a whole row, plus a couple of other blocks into the quilt backwards.  It didn't look bad.  It kind of went with the pattern.  Most people didn't see it when I showed them.  It would probably be OK to send that little quilt out into the world with a slightly askewed design.  In the whole scheme of life, what did it matter?  I really didn't want to rip the blocks out and fix it.  I had too many other things to do.  I even went so far as to baste the whole quilt together and get ready to quilt it.   I guess I was in denial.

I had time today to start quilting it, but when I picked it up to work on it, I just couldn't do it.  I knew it wasn't right.

I got the seam ripper and did what I needed to do.  It probably only took me about 45 minutes to make the corrections.  I feel so much better.  I know it's right now.

I may be only using this little quilt as an example, but I can sure apply it to all the areas of my life.  Striving to do my best, going the extra mile, making corrections along the way, and knowing that each day I have the ability to reach for higher goals is important to me.

The baby quilt is re-basted, marked and ready to be quilted.  Now when I send it out into the world to snuggle with a little one, it will convey only my good work.



Until Next Time-Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment