Thursday, December 10, 2009

Quilts for the Holidays

Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful
And since we have no place to go
Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow.


Well, those lyrics are part true.  The weather has been frightful and the fire is delightful, but with Christmas just around the corner I do have many places to go, so the snow can stop any time!



Because it has been so cold, I have taken some of my Christmas quilts out of hiding and we are using them to snuggle under and decorate with.  Here are 3 of my favorites. This quilts is called "Angels on High"  I made it in 1991 and I still love it.  It was during my folk art period and I used plaids and stripes in everything. If you are wondering who lives in the cabin, I answer that question on the back of the quilt.


My girls would say that Santa lived there, so that's what I put on the back.
Remember, I was in my folk art period
so that's the folksy Santa version.






The second quilt that is perfect for the holidays is this one:
I love this quilt too, especially because it was made over the period of a year, as a block of the month with my quilting friends.  Like the Halloween quilt that I described before,  we would get together once a month at different coffee shops in town, and exchange applique templates and ideas.  Even in the summer months, when we would meet, my dear friend, Becky and I would set the holiday mood by always bringing something Christmasey.  We called ourselves the HO HO DING DONGS after the famous Hostess cupcake treats and because we were just plain silly.  I made this quilt all from flannel in 2002.  What's fun about a quilt like this is how everyone puts their own personalities in each of the different blocks.  Each quilt becomes a individual's piece of art.

  

The third quilt is a Red and Green Irish Chain.  It's the most traditional Christmas quilt of the three..  I made it in 2003.  I love the simplicity of this pattern.
  
Quilts are perfect to use to decorate with  during the holidays and they are practical as well to fend off the frightful weather.

Until Next Time- Kyle.

1 comment: