Friday, July 29, 2022

July's Mini Quilts

For me, July means  
red, white and blue and 
 over the years, that has meant many
patriotic minis.

This month I had two different ideas so,
while I had that color combo scattered
across the floor, I kept on sewing.

The first one is a return to a past love,
stripes and plaids.
My stash is still filled with these wonderful
fabrics that reflect that primitive homespun look.


Fireworks and Pie
35" x 35"

I had always wanted to make a log cabin quilt using
a extra large center square.



Starting with a bright red center and
using strips in roughly the same width and
then casually trimming the blocks, it was
fun to put these blocks together.


I cut many of the strips on the bias 
to add movement and interest.  

When I finished I thought the centers needed some
wool stars buttonholed with a variegated perel cotton thread.




The second one took a different direction.
Still simple, but much darker.


Patriots
24" x 28"
In honor of my family members who answered the Alarm
on April 19, 1775 and fought at the battle of Lexington and Concord.

I started piecing 2 1/2" blue and red squares together
 as 4 patches.  Nothing could be much simpler.

My first thought was to finish with a dark blue border.  


Looked pretty blah.
The blue is one that you might recognize.  It's a 
very old Jenny Beyer's VIP fabric.
It may be old, but was the perfect shade of blue.

I decided to cut down that border
and add a lighter brighter blue.



 Small pieces of batting fused together can be
easily used in a mini quilt, as well as odd pieces
of leftover fabrics for the backings



The barb wired fence display looked great with
these quilts.  


July Minis

Be sure to stop by Wendy's blog, The Constant Quilter,
for the list of other Mini Makers.

Until Next Time-
Kyle

15 comments:

  1. I too, love plaids and stripes, and love how you used them in your Log Cabin, lending a vintage look. The star centers are a brilliant addition, further defining the piece as patriotic. The four-patch quilts - both iterations - are so endearing, and simple.. it makes me want to run back to my sewing room right now make one of my own! Beautiful quilts, all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red, white and blue is such a winning combination. You’ve made 2 delightful minis. I always enjoy your photos of them on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle maravillosos edredones ¡¡ tu colección en la cerca se ve divina !! Cuidate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your log cabin mini turned out. I have a FQ stack of Minnick and Simpson homespuns that I haven't known what to create with them. The inspiration of your little quilt is going to spin around in my head for a long while. The red, white, and blue all hung together is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your duo of additions to the patriotic fence display are each wonderful in their own right. I especially love the soft white wool stars with the blanket stitching on the log cabin blocks. Always so fun to see your series displayed outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 2 new minis are awesome and I just love seeing the whole group together on the clothesline with the fields and mountains in the background! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always fun to play with red, white and blue. So many combinations are possible with the varying shades.
    Your minis look delightful along the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great additions! The log cabin quilt is beautiful. Always love the barb wire fence display of your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh i love RWB projects....very pretty indeed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another terrific lineup Kyle. Your starry log cabin is so charming - love those stars! - and the change that you made to the border on the second quilt was just what it needed. Two great patriotic finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always fun to see your mini lineups and this patriotic "parade" is fabulous! The wool stars are just the right touch for your log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this month's minis! RWB is a favorite of mine, too. Good use of plaids and stripes and the addition of wool stars was a great idea! I like how you changed the border in in your second mini. And, of course, all your July minis look fabulous on the fence! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely quilts, beautiful photography too! A feast for the eyes. Patriotic colors are my favorite combination!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of these quilts are so beautiful and patriotic and look wonderful on the line with their friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my all time favourites, the red, white and blues. Love the stars in the log cabin blocks!

    ReplyDelete