Friday, March 2, 2018

Remember Me

We all want to leave a small mark in this world.
As quilters, we take fabric and create
patterns and designs leaving a tangible object
for our family and friends.

A while back a friend shared with me
the remnants of a quilt top made
by someone many many years ago.



These hst's had been sewn together to form triangles 
and then a double pink was used for the other half 
making the square.

This is all that remains of that wonderful pink.


Someone rotary cut that fabric out of the original quilt and
now only these thin strips 
are left in the seam allowances.

I had decided to use some of the remaining 
half square triangles for my February Mini.

The pieces had been sewn together by hand.

After unstitching some,
squaring them up,

I stitched diagonal rows.


I was challenged by what fabric to use for the 
side triangle with the diagonal setting.
I auditioned more shirtings, double pinks,
cadet blues, and even some mourning prints.

It wasn't until I tried a chrome yellow ( a reproduction print)
 that I knew it was the perfect one.


I used a double pink reproduction for the 
border, but a vintage black print for the corners.


I love how it turned out.

I hand quilted diagonal rows using an
Aurifil #12.  It added a simple 
make-do look to the finished quilt.


Don't you love these classic
turn of the century prints. 1880-1900

There's no way of knowing who 
the original quilter was or her
story behind her quilt,
but at least now some of her pieces


will say "Remember Me".

Until Next Time-
Kyle

27 comments:

  1. What a wonderful little piece. It doesn't just look vintage, it IS vintage and your hand-quilting looks like it has always been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kyle, I love how you have honored this quilt and its quiltmaker with your new vision for her quilt. It turned out beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I tried to reply, but my email just kept bouncing back as undeliverable

      Delete
  3. Oh, so lovely and I love how you rescued the remains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I agree that the chrome yellow was the way to go. Pulls everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story and you are wonderful to take this and finish it. She's smiling down from heaven . . . I know she is :) It turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have created a beautiful save of someone's quilt from long ago. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful little quilt and a wonderful story. I love it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Kyle, what a perfect remembrance of an anonymous quilter! Your little quilt is vintage in every way. Wonderful choice of yellow for the edge triangles and the pink border and black corner blocks are perfect. Fabrics from the turn of the century are favorites of mine, too! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely delightful! I love everything about it. Now two quilters from different centuries are melded together as one. So sweet, I need a tissue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy took the words right out of my mouth! I was starting to type, and I glanced up and saw she had said it so well. I echo her words!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have bonded with this earlier quilter so well...She is no doubt smiling and loving that touch of yellow as well. Absolutely charming little quilt for your February challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet finish, with a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those remaining antique fabrics were so worth saving and giving them a new life in this gorgeous little quilt! The original maker would approve, I'm quite sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh I love it! You’ve really honored the first quilter and now this little piece tells a story. The yellow is so unexpected and so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the quilt, and I love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely to be able to save the pieces and use them in a new quilt. I think it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful use of old block pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great way to re-love this quilt! The chrome yellow setting triangles are perfect. Love the whole result!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful way to bring new life to her work. It looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it too--so sweet! I can't imagine what someone was thinking cutting off the triangles-yikes! You've done a wonderful rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic rescue! Your little quilt is darling and I like that you used the pink in the borders :0) I think the original quilter would be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful rescue of an old quilt. You took the time to do it just right!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another labour of love Kyle, and I think that yellow is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am totally in love with this. The original remnants (the pink strips...!!) and what you did with it to preserve and make leave your own mark. A beautiful rescue, the old and the new with much respect for the old. Great choice re quilting too, my fav way of quilting with Aurifil 12 (no hoop in that case for me). All just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You totally nailed this one. Perfect re-do Kyle! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete