This week has been all about opposites.
These guys really are the opposites.
Don't you think?
I've worked on two projects this week.
One was "putting together"
and one was "taking apart".
Earlier this year,
began a series of little fusible wool baskets,
which were super cute.
This week I finally got all the stitching done,
and began putting them together,
into a table runner.
I used a Robert Kaufman
yarn dyed cotton called Manchester
as the sashing.
It worked perfectly with the Kaufman
Essex I had used for the background of the baskets.
I know the runner looks a little weird like this,
but I wanted all the baskets facing in.
It does look good on the table.
And it is all "put together".
Then I was also doing the opposite
on my second project,
which is a big job of "take apart".
A couple of months ago I was given
60 antique 30's blocks
put together like this.
Now I've begun the labor intensive
job of taking them all apart so
they'll eventually fit together.
The challenge has come from the fact
the original sewer
set her machine for about 16 - 20 stitches per inch
and when the needle came to multiple seams,
it stayed put, but kept on sewing.
Here's what the back looks like on most blocks.
So I've been slowing taking everything apart,
pressing and remarking the seams for
I had to make the blocks a bit smaller
because the sewing machine needle
caused the fabric to be perforated and fragile.
This original block actually came together
surprising well. It just isn't the same size as
my do over blocks.
I'm hoping soon, I'll be at the fun part of
"putting together" rather than the
Until Next Time-