Thursday, April 28, 2016

Walkin' In Memphis

Running Man and I decided it would be fun
to explore a city we had never been to before.

It's known for the sounds of the Delta Blues,


Barbecue


and home of the King  

 That's right, we
were walking in Memphis
minus our 

Blue Suede Shoes.

Memphis isn't a beautiful city.
It's a city that's had its ups and downs.


It sits along the Mississippi River
or the "Big Muddy" where the water
is too thin to plow 


and too thick to drink.

There's music spilling out of 
all the clubs on Beale Street

"with a whole lot of shaken going on"
(Jerry Lee Lewis)

 and did I mention BBQ?

There's the legendary Sun Studio

where Elvis cut his first record


And, of course, if you're a fan, a trip of Graceland
is a must,
 to pay respect to the 
King of Rock and Roll.

 You might even get to see that famous
pink Caddie.

And if you're tired of BBQ
there's always fried chicken at Gus's.
 There's also a serious side to Memphis

and the site of the assassination of 
Martin Luther King Jr.
Just the day before,  Martin Luther King
gave his last speech,
"I have been to the Mountain top."
***

Well, let's just say,
despite not having on blue suede shoes,
we were walking in Memphis,
the land of the Delta Blues,
and we had a fantastic time,
but not a whole lot of sewin' goin' on!

 Until Next Time-

19 comments:

  1. It is an interesting city, isn't it? My hubby and I just all of the sudden dropped everything and drove there...he loves Elvis, so Graceland was the main attraction. I thought it would be all be bigger or something, but I loved seeing the Mississippi river!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a fun trip. What an interesting post. Loved all the pictures. I am sure you are ready to get some sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a grand adventure. I have never been there. Thanks for sharing the sights. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a brilliant photo of you and Running Man with Elvis! I've been to Memphis on a flying visit for business (although for the life of me I can't remember what business I was visiting there!). I just had time for a short walk, so I am glad to spend more time with your photos. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking us along to see the sights - have only driven around the perimeter on my way to other places - I do miss good southern BBQ having lived most of my early life in the south. Great photo of you and Running Man - looking very fit and not needing blue suede shoes for walkin'in Memphis being 10 feet off of Beale:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    I grew up in this part of the world. Vicksburg, the Mississippi Delta and Memphis.
    I swam in the MS river when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like I will be putting Memphis on my to see list, when I visit the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been there myself - how fun for you to pick a city at random to visit! I'll bet it was a great time of year to go - before the crowds and heat set in. Did you take any sewing to work on in your down time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun trip! I've not been there myself, but one of my goals is to explore cities all up and down the Mississippi. So far I've only been to the northern end and the southern end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were there 3 years ago and had the same experience. Not a beautifull city but the things it has to offer for visitors are so worthwhile. We enjoyed our visit to Graceland much more than we anticipated and loved Gus'chicken and the Flying Fish. The Peabody ducks, we saw them twice and visited them at their rooftop penthouse. And with my husband playing the guitar in his spare time the Gibson tour was wonderful to do. But the Civil Rights museum at the (former) Lorraine motel, that was more than just interesting, it was moving. The way they set up the exhibits, the walk through time, the telephone call between President Kennedy and the governor...a must do. It was fun reading through your post, it all came back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for taking me on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun trip! I loved visiting with you. You had me a BBQ.
    I hope to visit Graceland one day.
    Looks like you made some fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you had a great trip in a fun city! Love those Elvis outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a wondeful time! Thanks for taking us along. The BBQ looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun trip! I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but the blues and BBQ would make the visit for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see you found Elvis. He pretty much made Memphis famous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tour, Kyle. Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun get away! I hope you missed at least one of the snows at home. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete