Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Old Glory

I grew up in a small town in Michigan.
Each Memorial Day was celebrated
with a parade.
The entire town either watched 
from the curb in town or from the tree lined streets
on porches displaying a flag
or decorated with red, white and blue bunting.
Everyone would cheer and clap
as our local veterans would march by,
along with the boy scouts and
 
 girl scouts,
and the kids riding their decorated bikes.
Everyone kept pace 
with the drum cadences from

 the local high school's marching band.

We would march to the cemetery
to honor those soldiers who had given  their
lives for all of us who had gathered 
on this day of remembrance.

It's time to 
display a quilt that I love.

"Old Glory"
2001
52" X 62"

It was designed by 
Blackbird Designs and can be found
in their book 
Summer Weekend.

Barb Adams and Alma Allen
have included many
elements that I hold dear,
 country and


family.

This was a fun quilt to make,
using small pieces of some
of my favorite fabrics.

I also used wool
for some of the smaller pieces.

 It added another layer
of texture.

The applique was done by hand, as 
well, as the quilting.

It was fun to add the swags in the border.

It seemed to tie everything together.

I enjoy this quilt for many reasons,
but mostly as a way of remembering.
 Until Next Time-

10 comments:

  1. Your patriotic quilt is a beauty. I have the book that this pattern is in and at one time thought I would make it. A friend of mine made one and I have always admired it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful quilt, Kyle! Beautiful work!
    I was a girl scout once upon a time, but I don't think we ever marched in the local parades. Fun to see your photos. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this wonderful quilt with us! I always loved parades with marching bands. It's fun to see a photo of you in the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely quilt! Beautifully done! Love the photos, I bet they bring back great memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful quilt. It is a special joy when a quilt can evoke heartfelt feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful. I adore your post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your quilt - so full of symbolism and such fresh, summery colors! I have the templates cut out - does that count??:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I have been looking for the book that has this patter (Summer Weekend) but it is no longer available. Would.you be interested in selling your copy? If not, no worries. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks so much. :) ~ Heather

    ReplyDelete