Thursday, February 13, 2014

Vintage Valentines

 Valentine themes
can define what's happening
in the culture.

Right now there are plenty of  princesses
and
plenty of super heroes

About 15 years ago
I began collecting off of Ebay
Valentines from the 1940's
that reflected
America during the war years.

They are very
patriotic
and full of hope.

They showed women
serving their country

 in  all the different branches of service.

And, of course, guys
as soldiers and sailors
were represented
on Valentines

They showed the reality of 
war

and what was happening

on the battle front

but this was shown in a 
mild cartoon way, but
still expressed the feeling of love
and the desire to have
someone as a Valentine.

Some  showed the countries past times
and funny slang words
yet, were strongly patriotic.

They showed life in the military

 and what life was like
on the home front.

I love the
sentiment.

Until Next Time-

10 comments:

  1. I wasn't familiar with this era of Valentines. Interesting! Makes me think of the old movies from that time period, and their portrayal of the war effort.
    As a child, I had an elderly neighbor with a scrapbook of Victorian Valentines. I loved pouring over that book. I became fascinated with those lacy, romantic, and often "pop-out" creations. During my rubber stamping phase I spent hours trying to recreate that feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection. I have a box of Valentines from that era, will have to see if any are military or have other historical clues.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic collection! They're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember when Valentines used to look like that! Weren't they sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. what fun valentines! I remember decorating a shoe box to take to school -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how love and war can go together and still seem cute. So hard to imagine how tough it was for the women back home. Must be tough on the families who's loved ones are serving overseas now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all your vintage Valentines. Thanks for sharing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. i always loved looking at this collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating! Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete