Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sometime It Happens

 We've all heard of quilt rescue stories.
When someone saw a quilt being used
as moving padding,
as a seat cover in an old pick up,
or as sleeping bags in a camp ground.

We shake our heads and wonder
how that quilt got there and
why wasn't it a family treasure.

I've had some of my older quilts
stuck in a couple of old trunk.

They were put there because
 they really aren't treasures anymore.

They were made with love as I 
 began my quilting journey,
but the fabrics have not stood the test of time.

Many of the fabrics have faded to 
 a non-recognizable color.

Of course, it's not the same
 over the entire surface of the quilt.

These were made when 
 Calico was queen.
And those busy little prints were
 the fabrics of choice.
(Mostly because that was the choice.)

Fortunately, styles come and go.
But these quilts
 will be always be labeled as those 
"early 80's quilts".

They're all hand quilted,

which makes me feel sad,
  but that's how quilts got done.
I liked putting muslin on the back
so that the quilting would show up even more.

 I hadn't learned how to make
 
bias binding so the edges are a bit wobbly with
the muslin pulling around to the top.
***
So I hang my head in shame.
These quilts will probably get passed on to
another calling.
Sometimes it just happens.

Until Next Time-

11 comments:

  1. We all have those beginning quilts and they are treasures in their own right! Just maybe not heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh look at that great green fabric you used for the sashing on the bears paw block. quilt wow!
    I know what you mean I have given away most of my quilts but I did keep my first appliqué quilt and one I pieced for my DD I want to throw it out she won't let me
    lets just say the shop where I took the class to learn how to quilt didn't know how to quilt either and when I washed the quilt it was not quilted nearly enough to keep the batting together, today I over compensate and want the quilt quilted to death!
    LOL
    pass the quilts on without any guilt. if your ready to let them go...
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is hard to see all of your efforts in hand quilting on quilts that are fading away. I have watched that happen to a couple of my early quilts, too, but I believe you were more prolific in that hand quilting than I was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you were a great quilter right from the get-go! I totally understand where you're coming from - kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I quite like the faded look - it adds a lot of character and a vintage air. One day these may well be collectors items... just like we treasure antique quilts with all their faults and quirks. I rather like them already!
    Thanks for showing us :)
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  6. No shame here. Your quilts are now family treasures. They also show your quilting adventure. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, don't hang your head in shame - that was the style of the time.......one day they will be marvelled at as the amazing quilts of that era!! And we all had to start somewhere! At least yours are finished - my first is still in pieces in lovely shades of apricot and green (blergh!!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. The backs are great too! The hand quilting looms great. Maybe fold them back side out and display on a shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kyle these are a treasure - my very favorite kind of quilts! I love seeing the old faded fabric, the lumps and bumps, the muslin backs. I buy them in junk stores every time I run across one because it represents a time in someone's life....a little piece of living Americana. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. The little print calicos are easy to identify to time period for sure. Some of the prints came in every color. And were put all into one quilt. I am glad the popularity of using different color values and variations of design and size of the prints came into being. Makes for more interesting quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your early quilts are true treasures!

    ReplyDelete