Monday, February 18, 2013

Itching To Get To Work

Here it is the middle 
of February
and I need to get
started on my February transition project.

I love working with wool and have 
done lots projects over the years,
but I always forget how wool makes
my hands feel.
They get very tingly.
Not really itchy,
more like little pins lightly pricking my fingertips.

Tracing the pattern on to the fusible web
was no problem, no wool involved.

Deciding which pieces should be fused with which wool pieces
involved touching lots of wool.

Here comes the tingle.

Cutting out the pieces, of course, is next.
Every so often
I needed to give my hands a break.

I've always been sensitive to wool, but I
think the dry cold weather has increased that sensitivity.

Now I could wear gloves while I buttonhole stitch, 
but I might end up stitching my gloved fingers to the block.
I'll just have to work bare handed.

What we quilters are willing to endure!


Until Next Time-

4 comments:

  1. I used to think I was allergic to wool (as a child) but it doesn't bother me at all to work with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If wool touches my neck....I go insane! But I just have the tingles, like you, on my hands. Have not quilted with wool before, but have braided rugs before, so I know just what you mean! But it IS worth it, isn't it!?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just barely started working with wool last month because I was afraid of a reaction--since I can't wear wool. So far my hands have been okay, but I know what you are talking about. If I have been handling wool and I touch my face without washing my hands, my face gets that tingling sensation.
    Looks like a pretty project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have a nice floral design to work on - and some yummy colors of wool! Are you using Steam A Seam? (just curious) Hope you can endure the tingling sensations - it'll be worth it when you're done!

    ReplyDelete