Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Warm January Quilts


January is a good month to enjoy quilts
especially here in Colorado.
Everyone needs one or two to snuggle under to stay toasty warm
on those cold January nights.
Here are a few of my favorites.



"Snowed IN"
2003
A Kansas Troubles Quilters' pattern
I love using  only two colors in a pattern

Each block had 17 buttons to sew on.
That's 153 buttons!
I had to buy a large jar of mother of pearl buttons
off of Ebay to have enough.

I'm glad I had the label on the back to remind me 
of the story of this quilt.


 "Wear Warm Clothes"
1995

This pattern is from Country Threads.
It is one of my favorites.
I taught it several times as a class and
it was fun to see how everyone had fun with this collage type quilt.

I especially like the red long johns.
My label is directly behind that part of the quilt, if you 
get my drift.

 Flap door label


 " Winter Wonderland"
1990
This pattern "Snowbound" is from "Red Wagon".
It really was the first pattern I used that pushed me into the
folk art style.
Plaids and stripes were just making there way into the quilting scene.
Roberta Horton introduced us to the concept of
"casually off-grain"
I was hooked.
Maybe because there are many times I do
feel "casually off-grain".

 The quilt is done with hand applique
and hand quilted.

Always glad I've added a label.


  " Merry Christmas"
2008
The pattern is in Kim Diehl's book Simple Seasons.
Even though I titled this quilt Merry Christmas, 
the snowmen seem more appropriate for January.
I made this for the Stashbuster's class I teach.
I used lots of different and  favorite fabrics, but
didn't use up much.
Oh, well...
I machined appliqued these pieces and used white
wool for the snowmen.  
They're just so cute.
I machine quilted it.

The backing fabric was in my stash and 
was perfect combo with the top.

We've had several days of below zero temps.
The evenings find the 3 of us, Ed, me and the cat, cozy
under a pile quilts chasing away the chill.

The perfect  solution for a cold January night.
Until Next Time-Stay Warm,

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts, you're such a great label maker. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt show! I do love your labels.

    ReplyDelete