Monday, November 1, 2010

November Show and Tell

I love going through my collection
of quilts.
Here are a few that look more like "Fall".

"Castle Keep"
1985
I use to call this quilt my "gymnastic quilt".
It's hand pieced and hand quilted.
 I did a lot of the piecing while I watched
Elizabeth at gymnastic class when she was 4!

The fabric is a Jenny Beyers line and she designed the 
pattern as well.
 I "fussy cut" the fabric to create the kaleidoscope pattern
in the middle of each star.
I don't know how I got so much done back then...
a 4 year old and 1 year old twins.


This quilt was so much fun to
find, swap and use plaids.
One of my quilt groups, "Material Girls"
did a plaid exchange and 
this is what I made.
Bear Raids, Kyle's Stash
1996

All kinds of combinations were made
and even sewed "slightly off grain"
The Bear Paw pattern is one of my favorites.

Here's the label and the back.
There are bear paws appliqued across the back just for fun.

This quilt was also done with friends 
and a fabric exchange.
"Stars Galore"
1997

The stars were done with fusible applique and then 
stitched around the edges using black thread to give a 
more primitive look.
The background fabric was a Moda marble
that we referred to as "paper bag brown."
I quilted it with a big stitch and
still enjoy looking at all the different 
fabrics I used.

This last quilt is one of the oldest one I have in my collection.
I have taken classes by Barbara Brackman
and Eileen Jahnke Trestain, both women who
are experts on dating fabrics and they have 
both critiqued and dated this quilt.
1875-1900
a Nine Patch Variation set on point

Don't you love the cheddar?
It's hand quilted with both white and cheddar thread.
The binding is a small gold print called 
"California Gold" popular during the gold rush days. (1849)

The turquoise prints were popular during the 1840's.
There's also some wonderful madder browns
It's in wonderful shape.
I should be so lucky when I'm about
130 years old!
Until Next Time-Kyle

1 comment: